The Sex Education saga continues, with schools struggling to confront the issues surrounding pornography.
With little sex ed training and guidance, you can’t really blame schools. Advertising, magazines, films, and the internet has made sex everywhere, inundating children with images, which are not necessarily healthy.
I’m pretty fed up. The press & government complain about the state of sex education but do little to help. We have visited over 100 schools with Stop Baby Ahead, a teenage pregnancy prevention workshop and have had hundreds more interested in the programme. YET schools who want it, need it can’t afford the extra support and help.
So we have hit a brick wall. Schools budgets are small and our dreams are bigger than us.
That is why I’m turning to you, the public, the parents, the teenagers, the grandparents, the business owner. Together we can create a generation empowered to make informed choices surrounding sex and relationships.
I’m launching an exciting project via Crowdfunding. Let’s Talk Sex is a forum for 50 students from the most deprived areas of London. The students attending the forum will receive a comprehensive resource pack so they can take back what they learnt to their schools to teach their peers.
Think back to when you were young…Who taught you most about sex? I’m willing to bet it was your friends!
Here is how it will work:
- We hold a ‘Let’s Talk About Sex‘ forum for 50 students from the most deprived areas of London.
- After the forum, attending students receive a resource pack complete with lesson plans, guidance, activities, and presentations, so they can return to school/college to continue the ‘Let’s Talk About Sex’ with their peers
- This means children learn from each other honestly, maturely and freely.
- It is a small step to creating a generation who are empowered to make informed choices in sex and relationships.
- It is entirely non – judgmental, impartial and certainly not ‘preachy.’ We never tell a student want to do. The forum simply provides a safe environment for teenagers to discuss their concerns & opinions while learning the facts.
The cost to hold the forum will be £1600. This includes venue hire, speaker fee, student travel expenses and the resource packs for each student attending.
As students will be coming from tough financial backgrounds we would like to help the student and school further by contributing towards travel expenses.
- We have budgeted £460 for venue hire at the Southbank University in London.
- The speaker will be paid £200, including expenses.
- £250 has been set aside for student travel expenses at £5 per head.
- Another £300 has been reserved for publishing & printing the resource materials for students to take back to school. Students will also receive the resources on a USB.
- The remaining £190 will go towards Paypal & Crowdfunding fees, rewards and any nasty hidden costs we haven’t foreseen!
We believe we can do this but we do need your help to raise enough money for the forum to happen. The project will be published on Crowdfunding over the next week. I will publish the link here once it is live.
In the meantime, please spread the word about this worthwhile project!
If you would like to get involved or would like more information, email email@example.com or follow us on twitter @LPerformance.
- Let’s Talk About Sex (makinglearningeasier.wordpress.com)